Under the general direction of the Controller, the Accounting Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day accounting functions personally or through subordinate employees.
ACCOUNTING SYSTEMS AND RECORDS:
- Perform a variety of month-end closing procedures including preparation and posting of journal entries for amortizations, accruals, reclassifications and payroll entries.li>
- Reconcile, evaluate and maintain asset and liability accounts.
- Ensure sub-ledger account integrity for A/R, A/P, Inventory, Received Goods and WIP, by reconciling to the GL, monthly.
- Maintain and reconcile daily cash worksheet; authorize AP and payroll wire transfers.
- Ensure monthly closing cutoff procedures with shipping and labor entry postings.
- Assist in cost accounting procedures, such as job closing, review of material, labor, and overhead variances, quarterly cost roll ups, and cycle count discrepancy analysis.
- Assist in preparation of monthly departmental budget to actual reporting and variance analyses.
- Prepare quarterly sales tax returns for multiple states and ensure compliance and timely payments.
- Develop and implement procedures to streamline monthly closings and other financial activities.
- Research A/R and A/P issues that flow through to the general ledger, assist in evaluating various effects of the interface between Accounting and ERP systems and interact with other departments as needed to resolve the root cause of any problems.
- Analyze financial statement accounts, identify unusual trends or erroneous entries, and verify accuracy of transactions and balances.
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies and procedures across all departments.
- Offer/initiate recommendations for improved efficiencies or stronger internal controls.
- Assist in annual review workpaper preparation and tax return document requests.
- Assist with various projects that are assigned to the Finance Department and other areas as needed.
SUPERVISION OF THE ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT:
- Supervise Accounting personnel; ensure proper levels of cross-training and fill in as needed.
- Maintain written procedures and instructions.
- Maintain an orderly filing system for all electronic and paper-based accounting records, including a system of archiving and document destruction.
- Promote the continuous professional development of Accounting staff, including performance evaluations of staff members.
- Promote an efficient, ethical and harmonious environment for Accounting staff.
- Promote courteous and professional interface with customers, vendors and coworkers.
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
SKILLS KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and interpret general business forms and reports.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, clients, and customers.
- Ability to solve accounting problems and complaints with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or spreadsheet forms.
- Ability to use an office computer that operates windows based business software.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office software (i.e. Word and Excel).
- Must be detail oriented and possess solid organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to coordinate and prioritize workflow and work to completion.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills to relate to others at all levels of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS(Education and experience)
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily as stated in the Key Duties and Responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Accounting or related field from a four-year college or university and 5 years accounting experience.
- Understanding of GAAP and intermediate-level Excel spreadsheet skills.
- Continuing education in accounting disciplines, particularly in the subjects of cost accounting and taxation, is encouraged.