CMC is seeking a highly motivated Lead Designer to join our 100% employee owned company and develop the next generation of life safety products. The primary objective of this position is to design and develop high quality, innovative, and unique soft good products, including harnesses, bags, and packs for rope rescue, rope access, and work at height markets. This position will be a collaborative and team based working closely with Engineering, Product, Operations and Marketing teams as well as the CMC School and industry influencers.
RESPONSIBILITIES:DesignDrive product innovation through materials, technology integration, and advanced manufacturing methods.Create and implement a cohesive design language across our soft goods product portfolio.Design product lines around coherent themes, intentions, prices, etc.Develop and create illustrations and technical drawings for new design concepts and digital renderings in CAD, detailing concept, materials, and development specifications.ResearchResearch and communicate market trends and their impact on new product designs.Explore and experiment with new materials, constructions and processes.Analyze competitive and emerging markets, materials, processes into a cohesive annual trend forecast.Project ManagementDrive product development timelines forward, hitting critical milestones and performance objectives.Integrate with other teams within the company to ensure that our products meet broader company objectives.Detail and process-orientedOwn the on time and quality approved implementation of product innovations.Lead brainstorms to identify soft goods product concepts in line with brand strategies.Prepare concept sketches and renderings for presentation and review.Produce CAD drawings and product specification for prototype development and manufacturing.Prepare control drawings, taking engineering requirements and manufacturing into consideration.PrototypingImplement common manufacturing methods for prototyping and design iteration.Develop physical prototypes to bring life to ideas, inform design decisions, and drive the process forward.Develop production ready designs that are functional, innovative and able to be competitively manufactured via internal or external networks.Collaboration & CommunicationSuccessfully present and communicate concepts to the Engineering, Product, Operations and Marketing departments.Partner with cross-functional teams and outside consultants or vendors to achieve product goals and marketing objectives.Continuous ImprovementSeek improvements to new and existing products to increase efficiency and solve technical challenges.Ensure products are on the cutting edge.Be a lifelong learner.
SKILLS KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Proven track record of leading soft goods design and development through the manufacturing process.
- Knowledge of soft goods construction, materials, pattern making, costing, and trim applications.
- Detailed and organized with the ability to handle high volume of work while maintain quality
- Experience with technical design documentation packages and Quality Assurance processes.
- Innovative mindset with a passion for creative and disruptive ideas that will create the future for CMC soft goods.
- Ability to envision design and manufacturing “what-ifs” with a fresh new perspective.
- Skilled at removing barriers to make CMC a more nimble business and organization.
- Ability to develop a deep knowledge of the CMC product, services, and history.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with people of at all levels.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, clients, and customers.
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team environment.
- Ability to work in an ad hoc environment and be willing to “roll-up your sleeves”.
- Ability to build relationships with internal and external customers.
- Experience with product and material testing desired.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education and experience)
- BS/BA degree in Industrial Design, or equivalent degree preferred or relevant work experience.
- 5+ years of proven commercial success designing technical soft goods products.
- Portfolio demonstrating strong design excellence, forward visual thinking and superior problem solving and ability to bring designs to market.
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with Solidworks or other 3D CAD programs
- Valid Driver’s License with an insurable DMV record required
- U.S. Passport desired
Working conditions are in a normal office and manufacturing floor environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit and stand; using the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Occasionally, the employee must crouch or kneel. The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 10 pounds. Successful performance requires good eyesight with or without corrective lens. Requires long periods of time working at a computer. Travel is required.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.