This position is responsible for developing and managing supplier relationships, and for creating needed infrastructure for all purchasing, material requirements planning, controlling inventory, warehousing and receiving activities, while monitoring and reporting supply chain KPIs company-wide. Under the general supervision of the CEO, the Supply Chain Manager consistently assures appropriate inventory levels to ensure both industry-leading customer service levels and the agility to respond quickly to new opportunities without compromising CMC’s optimal use of capital.
- Manage responsibility for the purchasing, planning and warehouse staff, which includes goal setting, performance management, mentoring, and employee relations.
- Develop, lead, and execute sourcing strategies with consideration and results for end-to-end supply chain excellence through technical collaboration, product introduction, cost modeling, logistics, manufacturing, quality control, ordering/distribution, integration and reusability.
- Assure effective teamwork and results within the department by coordinating the efforts of the staff.
- Coordinate with sales, manufacturing, engineering and accounting to ensure adequate supply and flow of materials.
- Execute agreements with strategic suppliers with an emphasis on meeting and exceeding cost, quality, and delivery goals.
- Identify and qualify suppliers with appropriate quality, capacity, and competitive pricing to support the highest possible service levels to CMC customers.
- Develop and manage supplier relationships, and negotiate the most favorable terms to support current demands, while assuring future growth requirements are met.
- Engage actively in supplier performance management.
- Identify supplier performance gaps and develop action plans to achieve desired performance levels.
- Identify and initiate cost reduction opportunities.
- Establish formal material planning processes for internal manufacturing as well as external (purchased) products.
- Effectively utilize MRP system to manage inventory and safety stock levels for both components and finished goods while actively communicating appropriate inventory KPI’s throughout the organization.
- Create and implement tools and processes to support production planning with accurate and timely information.
- Be the “Go to” resource for Engineering, Manufacturing, Product Development, and Product Management to determine the best value suppliers, sourcing plans, make vs. buy, lead-time optimization, etc.
- Address concerns and issues from customer service, sales, and procurement relating to customer needs.
- Proactively communicate/escalate supply issues in a timely manner.
- Evaluate and recommend actions to improve upon customer deliveries.
- Share information and provide reporting on key supply chain metrics.
- 5 – 10% travel is required to support vendor and supplier relationships.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate a team
- Must have proven inventory and production planning experience
- Experience with logistics supervision required
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Well-developed interpersonal skills are required, with the ability to interact and work effectively across all levels of the organization
- Manufacturing background is required
- Demonstrated analytical and problem resolution skills for supply chain issues
- Extensive user knowledge of ERP Systems and/or other Planning Systems
- Strong computers skills, including Word and Excel, are required
QUALIFICATIONS (Education and experience)
- Bachelor of Science in Supply Chain Management or Operations Management is preferred
- APICS Certification is preferred
- Minimum 7 years’ experience working in a manufacturing environment with responsibility for production planning, supplier management, and sustained product supply
- Working conditions are in a normal office environment, production floor and warehouse. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit and stand; use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Occasionally, the employee must crouch or kneel. The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 40 pounds. Successful performance requires good eyesight with or without corrective lens. This position requires long periods of time working at a computer, including phone work. The ability to travel as is occasionally required.
- The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.