CMC Podcast 10 - AZ Vortex (Part I of II) Belay High, Low or Through an AZTEK?
Contributors in this Episode
This episode discusses what we do with our belay line when using an artificial high directional like an Arizona Vortex. Do we put it high through the Vortex along with our main or second line, do we run it low along the ground or do we do something in between like suspending it temporarily from an AZTEK kit? Tune in to this round table discussion with CMC School instructors.
4:00 YouTube video – Vortex drop 2012
Paper – 2007 ITRS Presentation on Belay Line Tests with Vortex “Again…..Are you REALLY on Belay” (part 2)
6:20 YouTube video: Rope Rescue Systems Testing – Main/Belay (Back-up) Failures
Kirk Mauthner Sharp Edge Testing in – EMBC Rope Rescue NIF Equipment Testing Summary Report 2016 (cmd + f and search ‘sharp edge’)
13:43 YouTube video – How Far Will You Fall? – Tom Pendley
45:40 CMC Rope Rescue Manual
Join the Conversation
We appreciate listener feedback. Please let us know if you have any questions or topics you’d like covered in future episodes of the CMC Podcast. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Many of the activities discussed in this podcast pose a very substantial risk of serious injury or death.
- Products and techniques discussed in this podcast are intended for use by specially trained professionals.
- Technical rescue, rappelling, climbing and the training involved are very hazardous activities. Each situation has its own unique conditions and must be evaluated by those present. Effective risk management comes from experience, proper training and good personal judgment.
- CMC is not liable for any damages arising from abuse or improper use of the techniques or equipment discussed in this podcast.
- Topics discussed are the ideas and opinions of each individual.
- Department protocol and regulations should always take precedent.