Episode 1 - Alan Baker | CMC Instructor Series
With this CMC Podcast we are kicking off our Instructor Series. Join us weekly as we get to know our CMC instructors. This week we are joined by Alan Baker. Alan started his career as a firefighter in Newport Beach, CA, in 1992 and has been an instructor for the CMC School since 1995. He is a senior instructor teaching subjects ranging from Trench Rescue, Rope Rescue, Rescue Systems, and more.
Overheard this episode:
“I never wanted to teach something that I didn’t actually do rescues in”
“As an instructor you have to open your mind up and just not say, ‘I’m the one in charge and you’re going to listen to me’ , that’s the wrong attitude to have.”
“The number one word is consistency”
Join the Conversation
We appreciate listener feedback. Please let us know if you have any questions or topics you’d like covered in future episodes of the CMC Podcast. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Many of the activities discussed in this podcast pose a very substantial risk of serious injury or death.
- Products and techniques discussed in this podcast are intended for use by specially trained professionals.
- Technical rescue, rappelling, climbing and the training involved are very hazardous activities. Each situation has its own unique conditions and must be evaluated by those present. Effective risk management comes from experience, proper training and good personal judgment.
- CMC is not liable for any damages arising from abuse or improper use of the techniques or equipment discussed in this podcast.
- Topics discussed are the ideas and opinions of each individual.
- Department protocol and regulations should always take precedent.